489 provisional Sponsored Skilled Migration Visa when granting to an applicant will allow the visa holder to live and work in Australia for up to maximum 4 years. This type of visa is for applicants who are skilled and qualified to be able to live and work in the region in Australia.
2 Type of Provisional Sponsored Skilled Migration Visa
- The Invited Pathway
- The Extended Stay Pathway
For this, you must hold a provisional visa in subclass either 475, 487, 495 or 496. For the family members who are included in your application, they must have a family member who is a visa holder already of subclass 489 or any of the subclass above.
For Invited Pathway Visa
You can apply for the visa if invited:
- Applicant must be nominated by an Australian State or Territory government agency or have been sponsored by an eligible family member living in an Australia region
- Applicant must be nominated for an occupation that is relevant in the skilled occupations list
- Applicant must be suitable and pass the skills assessment for the occupation
- Applicant must be below 50 years old
- Must reach the points specified in the letter of invitation
- Must be English language competent
Steps in Obtaining a Provisional Sponsored Skilled Migration Visa
1) Skills Shortage List
First step is to determine if your occupation is in the shortage list of Australian Consolidated Skills List. You must be in the list to be able to apply for Skilled Migration Visa. Most of the occupations have a wide range of skill levels as well as trade occupations.
2) Points Assessment
Once you have determined your occupation in the shortage list, next step is to reach at least 50 point to qualify. Actual number of points needed is 60 points but under this type of visa class, applicant will receive a default 10 point as applicant has been nominated by the state or a relative in Australia. Points are calculated based on your age, work experience, your occupation as well as your English proficiency.
3) Skills Assessment
Third step is the skills assessment where in we will check if you have met the requirements for the nominated occupation based on your educational background and work background. This will confirm that you have all the skills needed for the specific job in Australia.
4) State Application
next step is the process of making a state application in any region in Australia (listed) which are open and accepting applications or where your family members are residing. It usually take 1 region per nominated occupation where you are free to choose which region your prefer to reside.
5) Expression of Interest (EOI)
Second to the last step is the submission of your Expression of Interest or EOI to the government agency. This is the preliminary step of the application. You will need to wait for the main invitation letter from the Australian government agency to apply for a Skilled Migrant Visa and the decision is usually takes up to 3-6 months.
6) DIAC Application
When you receive the main letter of invitation, we will then apply for your temporary residence visa.
What are the Benefits of this Skilled Migrant Visa
- Permanent Residence visa granted for 5 years
- You will be Able to apply for Australian citizenship 3 years after
- You can sponsor dependents or relatives
- You can live and work in any region in Australia
- You will be eligible for medical care or healthcare
- You can enroll and study in Australia
- Your family can migrate to Australia